What is Motif Investing? It’s a company that’s invented an entirely new way to trade….through a motif.
Think of a motif as a mutual fund, only better. With a mutual fund, you can buy one share of the mutual fund, but actually be diversified across many shares of all different companies. It’s a beautiful thing, especially if you don’t have thousands of dollars to invest at a time.
In my mind a motif beats a mutual fund every time because not only are there multiple company shares within a single motif, but you can actually build your own if you want to (no professionals needed)! If you like 30 big-name companies and want to invest in them all, you no longer have to pay 30 transaction fees of $10 each (which totals to an insane $300 by the way). All you have to do is build a motif with all the companies in it, and then pay one transaction fee. Just one! That’s a $290 savings!
Below is an example of a motif that’s been going crazy since last year – precious metals:
Why Am I An Affiliate for Motif Investing?
I’m proud to say that I’m an affiliate for Motif Investing. They have a great product that benefits their customers and quite frankly, I’m all in. Yes, I get paid if you create an account through the links on this page, but it’s at no extra cost to you, and I’d recommend this page even if they didn’t pay me. It’s THAT good. Heck, even Mint is recommending it!
Everyone should be investing for their future, and they should be paying as little fees as possible in the process. Right now, Motif Investing is the best at this. I highly recommend that you sign up today.
How Do You Sign Up?
Signing up and trading is pretty simple actually. I did it with absolutely no questions because Motif Investing communicates with you every step of the way. But, in the event that you still have questions, I included the step by step breakdown below.
1) Click the Link to Go to MofitInvesting.com
Click the link, and you’ll head to a landing page that looks something like this:
Simply enter your first name, last name, email address, and a password.
2) Choose Your Account Type
For most of you, you’ll choose an individual account, and invest with a cash account (investing on margin is like investing with debt – I don’t recommend either). Click “Continue”.
3) Basic Info
To set up your account, you’ll need to provide some basic info about yourself and verify that you’re a citizen of the United States. Click “Continue”.
4) Financial Objectives and Income
The Motif Investing team wants to be sure you’re investing according to your desires. Fill out your simple objectives and they’ll set you on the right track. Click “Continue”.
5) Regulatory Questions
This step is basically for those that are big shots and need to be careful what they invest in. For many of you, you’ll answer “no” to each of these questions and be on your way. Be sure to also include your social security number. This is always necessary before you invest for tax purposes.
6) Nasdaq Quote Agreement
This is pretty standard. It’s the old, “understand what we’re showing you and we aren’t liable for your incompetence.” Click “I Accept” to move to the next page. You’re almost there!
7) NYSE Quote Agreement
This is basically assuring Motif Investing that you are allowed to invest freely. 99.99% of you are. Click “I Accept” to move to the next screen.
8) Customer Agreement
You’re on the last page of the sign-up process. If you’re certain all the information you provided is correct, click “I Accept”.
Verify Your Account and Add Funds
Alright. So now you officially have an account. Now it’s time to verify it and add some funds so you can start investing!
By now, you should have received an email like the one below. Simply click the link in the email and you’ll be sent to the MotifInvesting.com page to log in. You officially just verified your account. Feel free to browse the many different motifs while you’re in there.
Now to add some funds. This isn’t a speedy process, but you know what that means? It’s secure, which is exactly what you want it to be.
When you finish your application steps, you’ll see that your homepage looks something like this, only it will say “Fund Account”. Click the button to get started.
Here’s how the funding process will go from here:
- You’ll enter your bank routing and account number (this is how you’ll fund your account)
- In 1-2 days they’ll make a couple small deposits into your account. They’ll send you an email to explain the process in detail.
- Look up the exact amounts of the two small deposits made to your bank account. The deposits will be made from Pershing LLC.
- Log in to your Motif account. From the “Account” drop down menu, select “Fund Account” and click the “Manage Accounts” link.
- Once on the “Manage Accounts” page, select the “Verify” link that corresponds with the account pending verification.
- Submit the exact amounts of the two deposits made to your bank account omitting any decimals.
- Once the amounts are confirmed, your ACH is activated and you can transfer money immediately.
- Choose an amount to deposit into your account, and enter that in to fund your account. The money will take 3-4 days to clear.
- Once the money clears, you’ll receive an email. Now you can choose the motif that’s right for you and start investing!