Becoming wealthy is so unbelievably simple these days, I can’t believe that everyone’s not a millionaire by the time they retire. I mean really, people have 45+ working years to save up money, but hardly anyone has anything to show for it when they’re old! How is this even possible?
Becoming Wealthy Is Simple…But Not Easy
Yesterday, I did what I do on every Saturday morning. I woke up, found a comfy spot on the back porch and I searched the web for some new personal finance wisdom to share with my readers. Yesterday morning I decided to focus on the topic, “How to Become a Millionaire”.
In about 30 minutes I found five solid articles from trusted sources and started to read their teachings.
My mouth slowly dropped as I moved from one article to the next…
They. were. all. the. same.
In good conscience I couldn’t just list the 5 articles and say, “Here you go, have a read and become millionaires.” Reading just one of the articles would have sufficed.
Here’s the basic message of all the articles combined:
- Work hard and earn more money than the average household
- Live below your means – save 15% or more of your income
- Invest your savings in mutual funds, index funds, and real estate
- Re-invest your earnings again and again
- Continue to live frugally all your life
The end…..but not quite.
The Main Reasons Why Wealth Is Not Easy
You know why becoming wealthy isn’t easy? Because it’s not convenient.
If we could all do whatever we wanted for work and buy whatever we wanted for play and still become millionaires, then I truly believe that everyone would become one. But of course, this isn’t the case.
If you want to become a millionaire, you have to be intentional about life each and every day.
You’ll have to:
- Study harder than the average student
- Work harder than the average employee
- Say “no” to new cars, large boats, and massive houses
- Take vacations in a tent instead of that 5-star hotel on the ocean
- Learn how to cook instead of being served every meal of every day
- Deprive yourself of mindless purchases so you can invest in your company 401k
- Live more boring than everyone else for 45+ years…
Becoming wealthy is simple, but it’s not easy. 96% of the population is buying flashier cars, living in bigger houses, and entertaining themselves to death every week. When you compare your responsible lives to theirs, it’s pretty easy to feel like you’re dirt poor!
In reality though, your bank account is soaring and leading you toward a stress-free retirement. Their bank account is starving and will lead them to an early death filled with worry and fear.
It may not be easy to live a simple life today, but never forget how fantastic your care-free future will be!
My name is Derek, and I have my Bachelors Degree in Finance from Grand Valley State University. After graduation, I was not able to find a job that fully utilized my degree, but I still had a passion for Finance! So, I decided to focus my passion in the stock market. I studied Cash Flows, Balance Sheets, and Income Statements, put some money into the market and saw a good return on my investment. As satisfying as this was, I still felt that something was missing. I have a passion for Finance, but I also have a passion for people. If you have a willingness to learn, I will continue to teach.