The stock market sure has been a wild ride lately! First, we were all scared by Brexit, then the economy showed signs of strength, so the market bounced back. Next, Donald Trump became our new President elect and the market went into a panic – only to be followed by one of the best stock market runs we’ve seen in a while.
It sure has been a roller coaster. So how have my Silver Motif investments fared?
My Silver Motif Investments
Alright, for those of you that don’t know about my Motif investments, here’s the quick update:
- Liz and I have quite a bit of cash, and I wanted a hedge investment in case the market crashed
- I stumbled upon Motif Investing, where I could invest in silver as a sound hedge
- I bought $1,000 worth of a precious metals fund
- The fund soared 30% almost immediately
- I did not sell
- The fund slowly fell back down to my original purchase price, so I doubled down and bought $1,000 more dollars’ worth.
And that’s the last update I gave everyone.
So what has happened since then? Did my silver soar again? Am I swimming in money like Uncle Scrooge? Ummm, errrrr, not quite….
Silver Hit Its New Bottom
After I doubled down on my silver investment, the value of this precious metal continued to sink. About a week ago, my $2,000 investment crumbled to $1,700. Since then, it has ticked back up to $1,771.
Do I feel like an idiot? A little.
Did I consider tripling down? Of course, but I want this to be a small hedge against the market. Not a huge roll of the dice that will make or break my financial future.
So, I’m sitting tight this time – hoping to see silver bounce back within the next year (when I’ll pull out the investment to buy real estate).
Other Investments I’ve Considered
In these uncertain times, I’m still looking for other safe plays for my money. Here are some motifs that I’ve considered:
- Defensive Dividends – This motif is a conglomerate of large companies that pay a huge dividend, typically over 3%. No matter if the stock goes up or down, that dividend is still constant.
- Corporate Bonds – If the market is going to tick down, this is the type of investment I’d like to be in. It’s a low return, but it’s fairly safe as it invests in hundreds of companies through many different ETFs.
- American Bonds – These won’t provide as good of a return, but they’re completely safe and better than a traditional savings account!
I haven’t made any more trades yet, but I’ll keep you all posted!
What About You?
Are you interested in investing some money outside of your 401k? Motif Investing is probably the answer. I freekin love this company. Here’s the perks I’ve seen so far:
- Incredibly low trade costs
- Earn up to $150 just for trading five times
- Choose from professionally-built motifs
- Ability to build your own motifs from scratch
- Heck, you can even get paid if people buy your custom motif!!
So what are you waiting for? Check it out! Here’s my detailed instructions to help you sign up with ease.
Click on the banner below to get started. Your first month is free!
My name is Derek, and I have my Bachelors Degree in Finance from Grand Valley State University. After graduation, I was not able to find a job that fully utilized my degree, but I still had a passion for Finance! So, I decided to focus my passion in the stock market. I studied Cash Flows, Balance Sheets, and Income Statements, put some money into the market and saw a good return on my investment. As satisfying as this was, I still felt that something was missing. I have a passion for Finance, but I also have a passion for people. If you have a willingness to learn, I will continue to teach.