Very rarely do I lay awake at night, but last night I was on my back…eyes wide open…staring at the ceiling…so I started thinking about my website. And I had a eureka moment. I immediately grabbed my phone, opened my notes, and quickly messaged myself the outline for this very post.
How to Earn an Unlimited Income With Your Blog
I started my blog at the tail end of 2010. Since then I’ve earned over $100,000 online…but after last night’s epiphany, I figure that I’ve left at least $400,000 on the table. Maybe even more than that.
I’ve lost all of this money because my views on earning a blog income have been completely wrong. My opinions of business have been skewed. What I thought I knew about growing an income has actually placed a glass ceiling directly above my head all these years.
My Glass Ceiling Experience – and Almost Everyone Else’s Too
My first year of blogging went something like this:
- I started my blog, set up my page and started writing a slew of articles like I knew I was supposed to (for any hope of success)
- Readers actually started filtering in. First it was just a few, then a dozen, and then 50 or more per day
- Advertisers started emailing me, asking if they could pay for a banner placement on my site or a sponsored post on my homepage
- My site was growing, I was earning money, and the world was my oyster!!
Well…until my blog’s growth halted roughly a year later.
I would write better articles, attract more readers and my earnings would rise again…for just a few months. Then everything seemed to plummet all over again. My visitor numbers would slowly tumble and the advertising dollars went away right along with it.
It seemed like there was no way to bust through that glass ceiling of roughly 15,000 visitors and $1,500 a month.
If you’ve been blogging for a while, you know exactly what I’m talking about. If you’re new, bookmark this page and read it regularly.
You’re about to discover two things:
- Why your blogging income has felt so limited, and
- How to transform your earnings into an unlimited income
The Science Behind Your Limited Earnings
Your lack of visitor growth and income growth can be explained with two simple triangles.
The first triangle represents the potential income of your site. This triangle is positioned upside-down because income is almost non-existent when you first start your business. Heck, I still remember my first month of earnings. It totaled $5.10….and I was elated! It was small but it proved that an income-earning blog was possible!
As the blog grows, the income potential increases and you work your way up the triangle, earning more and more with each month.
It seems like the income growth is limitless….but now it’s time to introduce the second triangle, which represents your visitors.
This triangle is right-side up. At the stage when you start introducing paid ads on your site, you have a relatively strong base of readers. As you continue to write content and sell ads on your page (like sponsored posts, direct links, and obvious ads in the sidebar), your reader numbers may still grow (and move up this triangle), but at a decreasing rate. In other words, your readers are still enjoying your content, but are starting to get put off by the detracting ads.
When we overlap these triangles, the picture becomes clear. As the income rises, the rate of new visitors declines, until the visitor numbers peak at the top of the triangle. With no more visitors means no more money. Your income has hit its ceiling.
And now you hit the cycle that I was trapped in for nearly five years…
- Accept sponsored posts
- Write just well enough to keep a handful of readers
- Post just often enough to fill the gaps between advertising posts
- Accept more sponsored posts and paid ads
….and the cycle continues.
You’ll continue to earn some money like this, but hardly ever more than $1,500 a month.
How to Earn an Unlimited Income
Now what if you had no advertisements on your website? How much faster do you think your visitor numbers would grow? Would you ever hit a glass ceiling?
I highly doubt it.
What if you offered your readers help and provided solutions to their problems? I bet your reader numbers would grow at an even more rapid rate. Don’t you?
Now what if I told you that you could earn money with the helpful resources that you’re recommending to your reader base?
Now I can see your wheels turning.
When you put spammy ads all over your site, your visitor numbers will suffer. But, if your income source actually helps your visitor base and improves their lives, you’ll essentially flip that visitor triangle on its head!
Your helpful resources will:
- attract more readers,
- which earn you more money,
- inspires you to write better articles and help more people,
- and attracts even more visitors,
- which earns you more money!
Your income triangle and your visitor triangle are now aligned, which means that you now have an unlimited income!
My Unlimited Income Setup
On my blog, I offer only helpful resources:
- iPage – an affordable web hosting option for people looking to start a blog
- Wealthsimple – one of the best and simplest ways to invest your money
- Personal Capital – a fantastic tool for tracking and analyzing your investments
- MyFinance – a company focused on providing quality, helpful ads for you the dedicated reader
- Debt Consultation – when you can’t breathe and need to get out from under your debt, Debt.com will help you.
- Personal Finance Services – I offer my own services. Check out all the ways I can help you on my “Hire Me” page.
My visitor triangle used to be upside-down, but today I’ve flipped that sucker over. I am here to help you. That is my main focus.
And by transforming my focus to my reader, I’m setting myself to earn money the right way. The best way. And truly, the only way.
What About You?
Do you run a blog? Are you offering your readers a helpful solution everywhere they turn? Or are they constantly running into detracting ads that frustrate and annoy them? Align your business with the needs of your customers and your income stream will grow larger than you ever imagined. Believe me. Since I recently discovered this, I’ve been watching my income rise by the day.
My name is Derek, and I have my Bachelors Degree in Finance from Grand Valley State University. After graduation, I was not able to find a job that fully utilized my degree, but I still had a passion for Finance! So, I decided to focus my passion in the stock market. I studied Cash Flows, Balance Sheets, and Income Statements, put some money into the market and saw a good return on my investment. As satisfying as this was, I still felt that something was missing. I have a passion for Finance, but I also have a passion for people. If you have a willingness to learn, I will continue to teach.