This report is for all the dreamers out there – all the people that have thought about starting a blog of their own to either:
- make a side income,
- impact the lives of thousands, or
- to just keep yourself on track with a few readers checking in on you once in a while.
Let me tell you, all these things are possible, and then some…
I started this blog 7 years ago because I freekin’ loved personal finance and couldn’t stop talking about it with people. As it turns out, my passion was infectious – both in person and on the web. Since then, I have earned well over $100,000 with this silly blog, I’ve impacted the lives of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of people, and I myself have become much more knowledgeable in personal finance (which, of course, helps my own net worth!).
Starting this blog was one of the best decisions I ever made, hands down, bar none.
If you’ve ever thought about start your own blog, I say do it. Forget about all your excuses, just get started. I mean, c’mon, the cost of the entire first year is $24… That’s nothing!
Click here for the step-by-step guide I created if you need some help.
Let me tell you, you won’t regret it.
Web Hosting from iPage
February 2018 Blog Income Report
And now it’s time for me to tell all you new bloggers how I earn my money – and in effect, hopefully teach you how to earn some of your own! If you ever have any questions about the report below, just leave me a comment or email me at derek (at) lifeandmyfinances [dot] com.
February was a pretty awesome month. It still didn’t quite get me to my goal of $2,000 in a month, but we’re getting close!
My Earnings Trajectory
I started tracking my income (again) about a year and a half ago. It’s helped new bloggers understand how money is made online and it’s kept me in check to make sure I keep growing and improving each month! Check out the stats below!
- Oct 2016 Income: $293.04
- Nov 2016 Income: $589.24
- Dec 2016 Income: $1,085.98
- Jan 2017 Income: $486.76
- Feb 2017 Income: $643.34
- March 2017 Income: $1,457.14
- April 2017 Income: $752.21
- May 2017 Income: $1,300.20
- June 2017 Income: $1,190.60
- July 2017 Income: $1,040.15
- August 2017 Income: $932.36
- September 2017 Income: $1,046.27
- October 2017 Income: $1,054.20
- November 2017 Income: $1,517.68
- December 2017 Income: $780.56
- January 2018 Income: $1,582.55
And in February??? $1,573.66!! BOOM!!
Not bad. Not bad at all.
Breakdown of the February 2018 Results
Alright – time to get into the nuts and bolts. Where the heck did all this money come from??! 🙂
- Google Adsense: $9.58
- As of 2/20, I’m no longer using Google Adsense. Over the course of this blog life, I’ve earned $4,161.51 with them. Sure, it’s fun to say I get paid by Google, but I figured out how to earn WAY MORE from elsewhere.
- MyFinance: $122.77
- As of 2/20, I’m no longer using MyFinance to display ads (are you seeing a pattern here? ;)). They were awesome for a while, but I found what looks to be a better replacement.
- Mediavine: $148.31
- I started with Mediavine on 2/21/18. By 2/28/18, they already earned me 148 bucks! Now THAT’S pretty impressive!! To be fair, I had a couple spikes of traffic in there, but from month to month, I still expect to earn $400+ with them, which is more than double what I was earning with similar ad-placement companies before!
I made a promise to myself when I started tracking these dollars again that I was in this to not just make money, but to help people! And that’s where these affiliate earnings come in. I partner with amazing companies that I recommend to all my readers, friends, and family!
This month, I made more of a point to send out a few email reminders….you know, to get people to actually act on something that they know is good for them! And it seemed to work!
Below are the products that I use, that I invest in, and that I believe in. Check them out!
- iPage Hosting: $315
- Three sign-ups in January. Way to go, people!!
- Want to get started with your own blog? Here’s the free tutorial to sign up in just 15 minutes.
- Wealthsimple Investing: $48
- One new investor. I love it! Your future-self with love you!
- Want to get started? Invest $100 and get a free $50 (only for a limited time)
- Personal Capital: $0
- Not sure how your investments are allocated? Sign up with Personal Capital. It’s free!!
- The Stay-at-Home Mom Blueprint: $0
- If you want to become a Stay-at-Home-Mom, this is a must read! And it’s fricken cheap at only $6.00 (with discount code “LIFE40”)
- Ethos Term Life Insurance: $50
- My post, “Dear Wife, I’m Dead. Here’s What You Need to Do” got some attention and inspired one person to get life insurance! YES! Way to go!!
- If you don’t have life insurance, shame on you. It’s really not as expensive as you might think. Check it out!
- Uber: $0
- Uber is a great way to make extra money! Check them out – they now have a food delivery option!
- BillCutterz: $0
- I love this partner, and we’re starting to get some traction with them from our readers.
- What do they do? They negotiate your bills for you! If they save you money, you pay them half. If they find you nothing, you owe nothing. It’s a win-win for sure!!
- Direct private ads: $880. I accepted 6-7 direct ads last month that were helpful to my readers, they promoted great companies, and they banked me some money! I’d still rather see my affiliate earnings go up and these direct ad dollars go down, but this month was actually a pretty good mix!
Total February Earnings: $1,573.66!!
Additional Blog News
Highlights in February:
- We were featured on Rockstar Finance with this fine article of mine – “Dear Wife, I’m Dead. Here’s What You Need to Do.“
- This post got an honorable mention in an Rockstar email – “50+ High Paying Side Hustles for Single Moms”
- Our article was shared on LifeHacker’s FB page AGAIN (for the 4th or 5th time now :)) – How Much Should You Spend on That??“”
Blog Goals For 2018
- Create a free online course to replace the dated resource for new subscribers (Target completion in May)
- Didn’t start yet! Oops…
- Hit 50,000 visitors in one month
- January visitors = 23,335 – didn’t break any records here, but we’re ramping up!!
- Earn $2,000 in one month
- Not bad, getting close with $1,574!
- Present my Financial Freedom material to 3 different businesses – charge $500 per class
- Didn’t reach out yet.
- Update my site with an “https://” for a “secure” status (Target completion in July)
- Nope, not yet. Man I’m already feeling like I’m way behind!!
- Create an online course to sell that’s an extension of my free material (Target completion in August)
- First the free course, then this one – so, obviously didn’t start yet.
Sheesh. Are you feeling overwhelmed? I am!!!
Thanks for reading, and wish me luck on another great month! Thanks all!
My name is Derek, and I have my Bachelors Degree in Finance from Grand Valley State University. After graduation, I was not able to find a job that fully utilized my degree, but I still had a passion for Finance! So, I decided to focus my passion in the stock market. I studied Cash Flows, Balance Sheets, and Income Statements, put some money into the market and saw a good return on my investment. As satisfying as this was, I still felt that something was missing. I have a passion for Finance, but I also have a passion for people. If you have a willingness to learn, I will continue to teach.