Do you love the idea of a location independent lifestyle – being able to work and live just about anywhere you choose? I honestly don’t know many people who don’t. But what should really get you pumped up is the realization that you can stay fit anywhere and on any budget too! While this isn’t particularly earth-shattering news, it’s easy to make excuses and find ways to NOT incorporate exercise into our daily lives, work and travel routines.
10 Ways to Stay Fit Anywhere (and on Any Budget)
This post has been written by our staff writer, Kerah Kemmerer.
We tend to take for granted that regular exercise is just as necessary for our overall health and wellness, and often let life get in the way. Especially since regular exercise is known to:
- increase longevity,
- stave off disease,
- increase memory and mental stamina, and
- help you sleep better.
Well, no more excuses!
It’s time to consider these ten ways to stay fit anywhere and on any budget!
1) Walk it out
One of the easiest ways to stay fit anywhere is simply to walk whenever and wherever you can. Staying active throughout the day will keep you from getting into an energy slump and the extra activity will make the day seem to go faster.
Start with the basics:
- Park at the far end of the lot or street and walk the rest of the way to your destination.
- Commute with your legs (walk or ride bike).
- Squeeze in a run up and down stairs or walk around the parking lot at lunchtime.
Add some additional steps:
- Be the “go-for” at work and offer to get any supplies or run errands for your co-workers.
- Volunteer to walk to the coffee place and pick up the afternoon brew.
- Organize a walking group to head out together during your 15-minute work break, or set up a group for work-from-home friends to meet up a few times a week.
Whatever it takes, look for ways to squeeze in those extra miles. Oh, and don’t forget to set your phone or pedometer to track you steps and challenge yourself to crush new, daily goals.
Yoga is a fantastic way to keep limber, lower stress levels, strengthen muscles and stay fit. The great part is it can be done anywhere – even at work! If you feel funny going it alone, ask others to join you in your afternoon stretch session. After you learn a few moves, you can start to incorporate them in throughout your day.
- Get started by checking out Yoga with Adriene and learn some basic moves to get you moving. While there are a ton of yoga channels out there, this one is particularly great for newbies and pros alike.
- You can also download free yoga printables to take with you wherever you go. Check them out here with many more to be found on Pinterest.
3) Micro workouts
Pressed for time? Consider condensing your workout into shorter intervals. This seven-minute workout gets your heart rate up and targets quite a few muscle groups.
Here are some more routines to consider:
- The Go-To Workout – requires 10 minutes of level 10 intensity.
- 7 Micro Workouts – again with the intensity, but a variety that can appeal to all fitness levels.
There is some debate on whether these types of workouts are really all that effective on their own, but as long as you are working other activity into you life, these micro-bursts will serve to tone up and strengthen all your muscle groups over time. Yet another simple and no-cost way to stay fit anywhere!
4) Join a group (hiking, dancing)
If you are more of a social person and love the energy that comes from working out with others, check out local groups! Meetup is a great site to find a group in your area to get together for hiking, dancing, outdoor yoga, etc.
Also, be sure to check out groups like:
- Hike It, Baby ($10 a year)
- Your local library (they often host community fitness classes for free!)
- Silver Sneakers – a free group for ages 65+ that provides access to SO many fitness options.
Never forget that you can always start your own group.
5) Get an app for that
It’s probably safe to assume that many of us not only have access to a smartphone, but often have it attached to us the majority of the day. Well, it’s time to start making that mini-computer work for you!
Here is a list of some free fitness apps you can download and use for workout inspiration on the daily:
- Sworkit – find short workout circuits tailored to your specific fitness goals.
- Nike Training – with 185 workouts and expert guidance, this app acts like a personal trainer for full body training.
- Six Pack Abs in 30 Days – Targets abs with daily workout goals.
- Couch to 5K – offers exactly what you think. A program designed to get your bum off the couch and 5K ready in nine weeks.
- MapMyRun – find training plans, map out your running course and take on challenges designed to push you out of your comfort zone.
There are so many more free apps out there, but this should be enough to get you started on your journey to stay fit anywhere.
Seriously. Turn on some music and start doing some cardio!
- Jumping jacks
- Hula hooping
Whatever it takes to keep that heart rate pumping for a solid 20+ minutes. This is a great way to clear you head and boost your mood. Don’t forget to stretch before and after to avoid any strained muscles.
Whether you are at home, in a hotel room, in an RV or outside, this can be a fun way to stay fit anywhere.
7) Barter for fitness services
Maybe you like the idea of having access to a personal trainer or even a fitness studio, but just don’t want to spend the money. Contact the owner or manager and work out a trade system where you volunteer a few hours a week in exchange for classes or professional training time. Make sure your agreement lets you have flexibility with the work schedule and see if they will even grant you access to any required gear.
8) Create your own gym at home on the cheap
Set up a gym that you don’t need a membership to visit.
Hop online and search for used items like:
- Workout benches
Craigslist, eBay and Facebook Marketplace are great places to find gently used equipment for cheap or sometimes free. As long as you have a way to move it, most people are happy to give you a deal on their unused workout systems.
While this requires you to be at home when you workout, it’s just one more option to help keep you fit anywhere.
9) Get an active side hustle
Want to get the best of both worlds?! Find a side hustle where you have to physically hustle and get your blood pumping.
- Delivering for UberEATS on bike (or Postmates Courier)
- Teaching dance, cardio or yoga,
- Personal training,
- Dog-walking, or
- Leading hiking groups.
You get the idea. Get your heart rate up and knock your debts down with these high-energy side-gigs. How many people can say they got their workout in while at work? I mean – a few, sure. But now you can join the ranks!
All day, every day you can find countless workouts online. Most of them free on YouTube. Just type in your preferred type of exercise and find the perfect online trainer or class for you.
While there are some great deals for online subscription plans – think BeachBody – you can find just as many amazing FREE workouts at the few clicks of a mouse. No membership needed.
In fact – this list will get you up and running in no time.
Are you pumped up yet? Excited to explore some of these budget fitness ideas to stay fit anywhere? Let us know in the comments your preferred method for working out!
AUTHOR Kerah Kemmerer
Hello! I'm Kerah. I'm a writer and personal finance enthusiast with a background in marketing. I'm also a wedding and portrait photographer, part-time RVer and a lover of simple and minimal living. Always up to some project or adventure over @krisandkerah on Instagram.