Running a successful retail store has always been tough, especially when you’re looking for ways to increase sales. Yet, the digital era has made keeping sales up and customers interested just a bit more challenging.
With the ability to access any:
- product, or
All this with the click of a few buttons!
Many consumers have come to enjoy the convenience and flexibility of online shopping making the competition for brick and mortar locations even stiffer. As such, it is necessary for retail store owners to continually come up with methods to meet the demands of their target audience by:
- beating out the competition (both on and offline)
- increasing sales
If you’re looking for ways to increase sales in your retail store, here are some that may help you out.
Ways to Increase Sales in Your Retail Store
While this can present some challenges, sustaining a successful retail store isn’t impossible. Here are some strategies you can incorporate below to see improvements in potential sales.
1) Go Digital
Now, this doesn’t mean pack up and shut down your retail store. However, these days, if you do not have a digital presence, you aren’t going to get much business. The internet is one of the first places that consumers look to learn more about a particular company, product, or service.
If they search your company and can’t find much on it, chances are they’re not going to want to do business with you. Therefore, it is important for you to go digital.
This means having a company website where users can:
- learn about your brand
- find contact information for visiting your shop or contacting you directly
If you really want to increase sales, you might want to use retail business technology like an eCommerce store. This would allow you to sell your products and/or services online while still having a physical location. Beyond this, you should also have a strong presence on social media platforms and business directories.
Related: 10 Ways to Monetize Your Blog
2) Enhance Customer In-Store Experience
When customers enter your place of business…
- Does the environment create a positive experience for them?
- Are they greeted in a kind manner by staff?
- Are products located in convenient areas for them to see, touch, listen to, and/or taste?
- Is the layout easy to follow?
- Are the aesthetics appealing to the eye?
- Is your shop clean and free from hazards?
- Do you personalize their experiences for them by getting to know their name, understanding their needs, and connecting with them on a personal level or are you just trying to make a sale?
All of these factors matter immensely.
If a customer enters a retail store that is unkempt, uninviting, too pushy, unsafe, or overall confusing to navigate and understand, they’re not going to be interested in doing business with you.
- hire an interior designer to help with aesthetics, layout, and decor,
- enlist a commercial cleaning company to keep the premises clean inside and out,
- make sure that your building is up to code and all systems are in working order,
- train your staff to not only be friendly but to connect with customers
Make your customers feel like more than just a price tag. When people feel more appreciated at a store, they are more likely to frequent your establishment.
3) Stay Connected
If you want to increase sales in your retail store you have to stay connected with your target audience before, during, and after they’ve left your shop.
This means finding incentives and means of communication to keep them interested in your brand. Social media is by far one of the best ways to stay connected with your target customers. On such platforms, you get to go beyond making a sale and simply get to learn who your target audience is and how to best meet their needs in your store.
Customer loyalty or referral programs are one way of doing this. By offering discounts or free products to customers who shop regularly in your store or recommend someone to your business, you keep them motivated to come back and do business again.
If you want to keep your brand fresh in your customers’ mind encouraging them to come in and make a purchase, try:
- sending periodic emails providing information on promotions,
- giving out coupons,
- giving out tips or advice, and
- sharing news about new products and services.
Email marketing is another way to stay connected with your customers and to generate new leads.
Ways to Increase Sales…In Conclusion
It goes without saying that the convenience of online stores has made the competition a bit more difficult for brick and mortar locations. However, that doesn’t mean all hope is lost.
It essentially means that owners of retail stores have to learn how to get more creative in providing an overall positive and convenient experience for their customers. It should entice them to want to choose your store over other options time and time again.
Have you been able to increase sales within your business?
Do you have tips to help other business owners increase sales in their own business?
AUTHOR LaTia Longuemire
My name is LaTia Longuemire. I enjoy writing, singing, and cooking in my spare time. My passion is helping others. At this stage in my lifetime, I'm primarily focused on my children. They are everything that keeps my world spinning.