The addiction isn’t one that’s normally confessed or maybe even thought of. And not everyone is in the position to even have it.
I started this personal finance blog in August, 2010. It’s basically 10 years old.
In those first couple years, I was hustling! I was:
- building my network
- leaving comments on every relevant article I could find
- writing free articles for other personal finance bloggers just so I could link back to my site
- absorbing everything I could about SEO
- I tracked my stats, made goals, and confirmed my progress
- And, I was writing posts on my own site ALL THE TIME
For the past 4 years though (since the kiddos were born), I’ve been stagnant.
- I rarely reach out to the personal finance community
- I find myself writing on my site only occasionally
- And, I’ve been taking the easy money instead of accepting pay only when I help my readers (via affiliate income)
The addiction…is blog complacency. But as of yesterday, June 19th, I’m a changed man.
The New Me
Here’s what you can expect from me from now on:
- fewer crappy articles
- more posts written by ME (maybe even a podcast once in a while? Would you even like that?)
- a stronger voice on social media
- and more free stuff to help YOU, my valued reader
I want to be the coach in your corner at all times. And, to be sure I become that for more and more people, I’m going to start tracking some numbers.
The New Blog Goals
Right now, my visitor numbers are roughly 16,000 a month. At one point, they were more like 30,000. My new goal is to get that number to 100,000 – by the end of 2020.
Great bloggers earn their living on affiliate income. They fall in love with a product, they believe in it, and they show their readers how that same product can ultimately help them too.
I want to earn my living this way. I want to:
- help people start their own blogs
- show them how to cut their bills in half
- teach them how to invest
- make sure they’re signed up with life insurance (like everyone should be!)
- advise them on their credit and show them how they can earn bank with just a few tweaks
With just these topics, my readers could benefit greatly and I’d receive a payout as well! It’s the way that money should be made.
At this point, I’m going to focus solely on my reader. I’m going to bump up my visitor numbers to 100,000 and I’m going to assume the money will follow. No more money goals for me. This is about you. Getting you to where you want to be, and in turn, I believe I’ll earn what I’m worth. That’s it.
What Do You Want From Me?
This is your chance. A chance for you to shape this blog into what you would love it to be.
What is it you want most from a personal finance blog?
- A podcast?
- More written posts?
- More free tools?
- A personal finance forum (maybe a Facebook community)?
- Interviews from those who have struggled, but are now on the other side?
Tell me now! I’m ready to put my head down and get to work. Leave a comment below. PLEASE!
It’s time to help you. Please…tell me how I can do that so I can reach the world. This message of debt freedom and simple investing is worth spreading. It’s simply fantastic and I want everyone to be here.
My name is Derek, and I have my Bachelors Degree in Finance from Grand Valley State University. After graduation, I was not able to find a job that fully utilized my degree, but I still had a passion for Finance! So, I decided to focus my passion in the stock market. I studied Cash Flows, Balance Sheets, and Income Statements, put some money into the market and saw a good return on my investment. As satisfying as this was, I still felt that something was missing. I have a passion for Finance, but I also have a passion for people. If you have a willingness to learn, I will continue to teach.