Many of you come to this site for personal finance advice – to hear about HSA, 529, and 401k accounts (and we do provide that here). But others of you come to this site to learn how to make more money, which also means that some of you are constantly thinking about starting a blog. It could give you a better life purpose, some new fun friends, and some extra money to put in your bank account. For that reason, I also write about my blog from time to time – my challenges, accomplishments, and GOALS! Today, it’s time to lay out my blog goals for 2020.
My Blog Goals for 2020
If you’ve read my recent post, “Confessions of a Seasoned Blogger,” you know that I recently flipped the switch on running this blog.
- No more coasting
- No more accepting crappy posts
- And no more feeding simple canned answers to my readers…I’m done with that. It’s not me. I hated it.
Rather, it’s time for me to step up and provide my readers with an experience that they’d find nowhere else!
- Amazing posts
- Constant interaction
- And a cheerleader that’s in your corner at all times, no matter where you are in your financial life!
So what do I hope the results will be?
My Current Stats
In January, my blog was generating 30,000 viewers a month. At this point, I’m slightly under 20,000 viewers a month.
Why the drop?
I think it’s basically what I already said above. My posts haven’t been amazing and I’m also allowing sub-par posts that are written by others. I was simply too distant and wasn’t engaging enough with my customer…ie. my readers.
The Future Goal
So here we are, I’ve got roughly 20,000 readers a month. It’s alright, but I really want to REACH MORE PEOPLE. I want to HELP MORE PEOPLE. And in turn, as a by-product, I’ll earn more money. Who knows? Maybe I’ll retire early. Maybe we’ll just use the added monthly income toward vacations. OR, perhaps I could use a chunk of change to help my readers more every month.
- Afford more content
- Have more giveaways
- Maybe even extend the scope of this website (perhaps with a podcast so you can take me on the road!)
It’s a dream of mine to build this website bigger. And it all starts now.
My blog goals…there’s really just one.
*Increase the reach*
If I do that, all the money stuff will follow automatically.
And you know what? I’ve got myself a big hairy audacious goal – I want to grow my site to 100,000 viewers a month by the end of December, 2020.
How to Make the Blog Goal Happen
Achieving blog goals don’t just happen. They take careful planning and execution. I intend to grow my blog by 5x in just 6 months. This is going to take a fight.
Here’s how I envision it ramping up:
- June: 20,000 views
- July: 26,000 views
- August: 35,000 views
- September: 45,000 views
- October: 59,000 views
- November: 77,000 views
- December: 100,000 views
In other words, I need to increase my reach by 30% a month.
And here’s how I intend to make it happen:
- Increased social media postings
- The usual was 1 a day on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest
- The new plan is 10 a day on each social platform
- More strategic social postings
- Instead of just posting a link with no other words, I plan to personalize each one – for social conversation! After all, that’s what social media is for!
- A faster site
- I already have a dedicated server, but I don’t think it’s enough. I need more RAM. I’m signing up for more soon.
- More content
- My staff writers provide new posts every Monday and Thursday.
- I plan to write an additional 1-2 posts each week on top of that.
- More intriguing content
- I was pretty lax with the topic choices of the past articles.
- Now, I’m going to research titles ahead of time that are interesting and have the most reach
- More email marketing
- There are so many articles on my site that could help the reader, but they might never find them!
- I plan to reach out to them more often via email so they can learn more, and therefore earn more!
- More giveaways
- I used to give stuff away on my blog all the time, but it takes time and effort to set up
- I plan to do more of these in the future. It will help my readers financially and it will create more buzz for the site so others will find it!
How Will I Afford This Sudden Switch?
Right now, my site earns about $400 a month (organically) with 20,000 visitors. It costs roughly $900 a month to pay staff writers and my virtual assistant. That leaves me about $500 short.
To combat the shortfall, I plan to do two things:
- Write one post a month for another blog for $300-$450
- And, ramp up the visitor numbers as fast as I possibly can!! This blogs future life depends on it!!
The beauty is, once I’m at 100,000 visitors a month, I’ll earn $400 x 5, which is $2,000 a month! And that will pay the bills!
Blog Goals – Future Updates
For all you want-to-be and newbie bloggers out there, you’ll be happy to know that I plan on posting my results each month. I’ll tell you what’s working and what’s not and what you should plan to do in the future if you want to grow your blog as well!
It’ll be a good gut-check for me and my progress and it will also help you with your blog goals too!
Wish me luck!! I’ll report back to you next month!
My name is Derek, and I have my Bachelors Degree in Finance from Grand Valley State University. After graduation, I was not able to find a job that fully utilized my degree, but I still had a passion for Finance! So, I decided to focus my passion in the stock market. I studied Cash Flows, Balance Sheets, and Income Statements, put some money into the market and saw a good return on my investment. As satisfying as this was, I still felt that something was missing. I have a passion for Finance, but I also have a passion for people. If you have a willingness to learn, I will continue to teach.