Trying to earn extra money this summer? Hosting a garage sale is a great way to make some extra cash. Here are some tips to help you get the most from your efforts:
1. Make a Game Plan.
Make sure to plan your garage sale in advance. It’s important to decide when and where you are having the sale. Once plans are made you can start preparing and advertising well before the actual date.
2. Make it Easy. Design your sale to make it easier for customers to shop. Be intentional when planning the lay out so it’s easier for shoppers to navigate. Hanging clothing is easier to look through than folded items.
3. Be Fair. You probably think your items are worth much more than they are in reality. Be fair when pricing everything at your next garage sale. Do research beforehand if you truly believe some of your items are special.
4. Give Special Treatment. You can attract more customers and sales if you do something special for potential buys. Provide them with something to drink according to the weather like ice water or hot chocolate. Provide plastic bags for each customer to make it easier to shop and check out.
5. Don’t Forget Advertising. How will people know to show up without advertising? Construct bright, easy-to-read signs for your sale around the neighborhood or at nearby intersections. Craigslist is a FREE and easy-to-use way to get the word out about your upcoming garage sale.
6. Choose the Right Location. Location is key when hosting a successful garage sale. Residential neighborhoods, especially those near busy intersections, are best. Ask friends or family to host your next one if your home isn’t in the best location for shoppers.
7. Form a Team. Attract more customers by teaming up with multiple households and holding a multi-family sale. Advertise accordingly to attract a big crowd! Just make sure everyone agrees when it comes to the details of the sale so there are no conflicts.
8. Know the Rules. Check with your local neighborhood association or local government about any rules and regulations pertaining to garage and yard sales. It’s important you know if a permit is necessary, restrictions on the number of sales you have a year, or if there are certain areas signs can be placed. Knowing the rules will keep you out of trouble and make your city happy.
9. Collect Year-Round. Designate a certain area in your home or garage for garage sale items. Whenever you find something you want to sell place it in that area immediately. Then when it’s time to prepare for your garage sale you don’t have to spend too much time trying to find items to sell.
10. Recruit Helpers. You need a group of people to make a garage sale successful. It’s impossible for one person to set-up everything, help every single customer, and keep track of all the purchases. Make it a family event or do a little bribing to get people to help.
Make Money Save Money
My name is Derek, and I have my Bachelors Degree in Finance from Grand Valley State University. After graduation, I was not able to find a job that fully utilized my degree, but I still had a passion for Finance! So, I decided to focus my passion in the stock market. I studied Cash Flows, Balance Sheets, and Income Statements, put some money into the market and saw a good return on my investment. As satisfying as this was, I still felt that something was missing. I have a passion for Finance, but I also have a passion for people. If you have a willingness to learn, I will continue to teach.