I can’t quite believe it, but I’ve been running this site for 5 solid years now and I’ve written over 1,425 articles during that stretch! When I hit milestones like this, it’s often fun to reminisce and think back to the early years.
I officially purchased the LifeAndMyFinances.com domain name on August 28th, 2010. I remember working for dozens of hours over the weekend to try and figure out how to register my site with the major search engines, how to build a landing page that actually looked like something, and how to write some quality content so someone would actually want to read it and tell their friends! Well, here’s what I came up with on September 6th, 2010. I was so proud of it then, but so embarrassed of it today…
It was certainly simple and effective wasn’t it?? In those first few weeks I remember just desperately wanting some readers to come and comment on my articles. As it turns out, that didn’t happen until about 6 months in. But today, I have over 1,300 subscribers, 2,700 Twitter followers, and almost 700 Facebook friends. The readers have definitely found me and are clearly enjoying the content. 🙂
My Site in the Present and the Future
My website today attracts visitors from nearly every country in the world – it’s simply amazing to think about! After 5 years and millions of words typed, I still love writing on this site multiple times per week. It helps me grow as a writer, as a leader, and it also helps me in my own personal finances! As for the future, I have absolutely no intention of selling this website. Liz and I will start investing in real estate and I want to teach my readers all about the ups and the downs of this supposed “passive income” source. I can’t wait for the journey and hopefully neither can you!
On to the Prizes!
Okay, enough jibber jabber. I want to give away some books! There are five personal finance books that have changed my life, each in a different way:
1) Financial Peace University, by Dave Ramsey – I received this book as a gift soon after I graduated college. At that time, I had student loan debt and some credit card debt, which I thought was fine because it was fairly normal. After reading this book though, I absolutely wanted out! This book ignited my future success in personal finance.
2) The Cash Flow Quadrant, by Robert Kiyosaki – I didn’t realize there was any difference between a self-employed person and a business owner until I picked up this book. As it turns out, when considering the time for dollars trade, there is a HUGE difference. Ever since then, I have been very conscious about how I invest and how to replicate my success with as little work possible.
3) The Richest Man in Babylon, by George Samuel Clason – This book is quite simple, but it carries a powerful message. By just making a small effort each month and staying consistent with your investment, one individual can become a very wealthy over the course of their life. Truthfully, it only takes 10%. This is a must-read for everyone that wants to turn their financial life around.
4) The Millionaire Next Door, by Thomas J Stanley – I used to look at people in their BMWs and Mercedes Benz’s and think they were rich. Now I know that’s not the case. It’s more likely that these people are broke than rich. After reading this book, I’ve wanted to become that unsuspecting millionaire next door. I’m not quite there yet, but I’m getting there. Thanks for the research in this area, Mr. Stanley.
5) The 4-Hour Work Week, by Tim Ferriss – This book rocked my world a little. I can actually make more money by working less?? Really? There are so many great nuggets in this book that you really have to read it again and again to get the full message. The end result will likely be thousands of dollars in your pocket though. And, the best part is – it’s passive income and will just keep coming in week after week, month after month.
How to Enter and Win
Entering this contest is easy. Simply do one or all of the following to earn points:
- Tweet this article (2 points)
- Follow me on Twitter (@LAMFinances) (5 points)
- Like this article (2 points)
- Become my Facebook friend (5 points)
- Subscribe (for free) to this site! (10 points)
- Tell me which book you want most in the comments below (2 points)
Once you take action, be sure to tell me what you did in the comments below so I can record your entries.
I will choose 10 winners (on September 3rd, 2015), and each winner can select the book of their choice.
Have fun, and good luck!!!
My name is Derek, and I have my Bachelors Degree in Finance from Grand Valley State University. After graduation, I was not able to find a job that fully utilized my degree, but I still had a passion for Finance! So, I decided to focus my passion in the stock market. I studied Cash Flows, Balance Sheets, and Income Statements, put some money into the market and saw a good return on my investment. As satisfying as this was, I still felt that something was missing. I have a passion for Finance, but I also have a passion for people. If you have a willingness to learn, I will continue to teach.