Wondering how to start a blog? Or IF you should start a blog? Well, you landed on the right page! Below, you’ll find everything you need to know to start a WordPress blog – way more than I ever had when I got started back in 2010! That’s right, I’ve been at this game for 10+ years, and I still absolutely love everything about it. Blogging enables me to earn a healthy side income, often thousands of dollars every single month! Be sure to use the link below to get the discounted pricing on one of the best web hosts out there, Bluehost! Act quickly because you never know how long the low prices will last!
Disclosure: I am an affiliate for Bluehost. I receive a commission if you sign up through my referral link. There is no additional cost to you, and you will get great pricing and a free domain name through my link.
Click here to start a blog on WordPress. Use the tutorial below for step-by-step instructions.
If you want to start a blog, you’re going to need a webhost. In short, a webhost provides you a server to get your blog up and running and keep it running on the world wide web! (Think of it as an engine in your car – sure your car might look like a car, but without an engine no one will ever see it because you can’t get it out of the garage!!)
When it comes to webhosts, I recommend Bluehost. I wholeheartedly believe that they are the best option out there (Trust me, I spent 9 years with another webhost and after switching I can’t believe the night and day difference! With Bluehost, my site ran more smoothly, it was quicker, and I’m starting to get picked up more often by search engines!).
The Many Benefits of Blogging
I graduated from college with a Finance degree in 2008…when all the banks were shutting down from the Great Recession… I couldn’t’ find a finance job to save my life. So, I took a decent job that paid well in another state, but had nothing to do with finances.
A few years later, my wife and I longed to move back to our hometown, but we were living paycheck-to-paycheck and just didn’t have the funds to move, let alone make ends meet in a new place with no jobs.
That’s when my wife had a brilliant idea. She knew I had a love for finance, and she heard from somewhere that you could make money with a blog. “Why don’t you start a personal finance blog?” I hemmed and hawed for a few weeks, then finally pulled the trigger. To my surprise, the blog started making pretty serious money just 6 months in. And guess what? We were able to move back to our hometown!
Now, so many years later, I’m still so surprised at where this blog has taken us.
An Unlimited Income
You know when you get a job and they tell you how much you’ll be earning? That’s a pretty static number… Let’s say it’s $50,000. The chances of you making $80,000 the next year are basically zero.
Starting a blog is like owning your own business. Put the effort in and build a loyal customer base, the sky’s the limit. You could earn $1,000 a month with a blog. Or, if you attract 10 times the readers, you could earn $10,000 a month! Want to ramp it up even more? You can, and many people have!
A Profitable Hobby
Many hobbies cost money – fishing, hunting, softball, horse riding, watching TV every night… – this stuff is expensive!
My hobby earns me money!
Thanks to this simple blog, I have earned an extra $75,000! This money helped my wife and I invest in a rental property, to move to a bigger house on acreage, and to invest in our kids’ college funds! It has literally been life-changing.
Today, we don’t necessarily need the money, but it’s still a fun hobby that I can’t imagine NOT doing! Ten years in with maybe ten years to go!
Impacting Lives Around the World
Want to know the main reason why I can’t imagine putting an end to this crazy blog?
Because of people like you!
There are people all over the world that stumble over to this blog with questions about…
- – getting out of debt,
- – starting a side hustle,
- – living on less,
- – investing for their future…
How would you like to make an impact like this with people all over the globe? You absolutely can! And one of the best ways I’ve found to do it is with a simple blog.
It’s a pretty cheap way to make such a huge impact in someone’s life.
Meet Other People With Your Passion
Ever feel like you can’t relate to your friends because you love talking about:
- – Money?
- – Politics?
- – Tech?
- – Leadership?
- – Taxes?
- – Being a Mom?
- – Crafting?
- – Money?
Start a blog and you’ll start to find other bloggers that write about a similar topic as you. Heck, you might even find an entire network set up for people just like you! While your friends might shy away from your passionate conversations about cloth diapers and how much money you’re saving, there’s a group of people out there that will absolutely get a charge out of it!
A Low-Risk Proposition
If you wanted to start your own….
- – Sporting goods store,
- – Book shop
- – Distribution company
- – Car wash company
You’d probably have to put up your entire life savings to get started, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of dollars that you’d have to borrow from the bank…
If you want to start a blog, the cost is only $2.95/month through my special promotional link. This is one cheap business, and the upside is incredible. Believe it or not…some people earn hundreds of thousands of dollars a year with a simple blog. It’s insane and nobody believes it, but I can vouch for it. It’s entirely possible.
Chart of Income
I wish I would have had this chart when I started blogging. I found it recently on Three Words to Wealth and based on my visitor numbers, the income estimates are spot on!
Basically, if you want to make a solid income, do everything possible to attract readers. Want to make even more? Attract even more readers. Simple as that.
Last year, I had roughly 30,000 visitors per month. Some months, I made $1,500. Other months my income went through the roof at $5,000+. On average though, I earned $2,000-$3,000 per month – just as this chart would have suggested!
Boom! There’s money to be made…you know, if that’s the sort of thing you’re into. 😉
What About the Free Webhost Options?
There are a ton of free webhost options out there…so you’re thinking that maybe you’ll head that route. After all, you’re not totally sure you’ll stick with this whole blogging thing anyway.
DON’T DO IT!!!
Sure, a free webhost costs you nothing, but there are so many drawbacks to this:– Traffic is tougher to get since search engines won’t take your site seriously – ie. You’ll be writing for absolutely no one except your grandma that has your domain bookmarked in her favorites – You likely don’t own your content (the webhost does), which means you can’t transfer your blog to a better webhost down the road if you do decide to make a later upgrade
– Your earnings will be limited (or non-existent)
It’s just not worth cheaping out on a webhost, especially since they’re so affordable in the first place.The Benefits of Bluehost
So what exactly do you get with Bluehost? Just like we’ve said before, for as little as $2.95 a month, you get:– a free domain (I recommend choosing a .com name) – you get webhosting (which means the entire world can see your site), as well as – many other extras that will help you get your site noticed.
Beyond this, benefits include…
- – It’s incredibly easy to use. ANYONE can create a WordPress blog easily with the tutorial below. And, Bluehost makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog.
- – Bluehost offers technical support.
- – Bluehost is extremely affordable and offers cheap web hosting. You can have a blog of your own and the only real expense you need to pay is the cheap blog hosting which starts at just $2.95 per month.
- – WordPress through Bluehost is FREE.
- – Bluehost offers a guarantee in case you decide that blogging isn’t for you in the first 30 days. Talk about low-risk!
- – You will be self-hosted. If you want to monetize your blog, then you want to be self-hosted.
- – Finally, you will appear much more professional to readers and advertisers if you are self-hosted on Bluehost vs. a freebie webhost option.
How to Start a WordPress Blog on Bluehost
Alright, so you’re ready to start a blog (congrats!). Follow the steps below to start it with ease.
1) Register Your Domain name
Once you click on the link, “Start a blog with Bluehost“, you’ll be taken to a page with my wonderful face on it 😊 and you’ll see the awesome promotional pricing of $2.95/month. Click, “Get Started Now”.
Next, Bluehost will ask you to select your plan. If you’re just starting out, I almost always recommend the basic (cheapest) plan.
It will provide you with plenty of:
- – Space (memory for your site build)
- – Bandwidth
- – Performance
- – And email storage
If you grow into a massive site, you can always upgrade later. For now though, the cheapest option will work just fine!
Next, Bluehost will ask for the domain name for your website.
Type in your ideal name to see if it’s available.
Since there are a bazillion sites out there, chances are that your name is taken. That’s okay.
DO NOT let them tempt you into signing up for a .net or some other obscure ending to your desired domain name. Even though it still seems old school, in my opinion, .com is still where it’s at.
- – With a .com ending, people will see your site as more authoritative
- – It’s the easiest for people to remember (we’re all used to .com endings vs. all the others)
- – And personally, I believe that you’ll earn more money with a .com site.
So what do you do? Pick a new name.
As I was playing around with a site name just recently, I entered, “slayyourdebt”. Well surprise surprise, that was taken. But, when I tried, “takedownyourdebt”, that was not! Boom! Looks like I could get started with my new site as a .com! No big deal!
When it comes to picking a domain name, be sure to:
- – Keep it short
- – Make it easy to rememb
- – Make it easy to spell (funky names are tougher to remember)
- – And of course, make it a .com!
2) Buy Hosting for Your Blog
Once you pick your domain name, you’ll be taken to a new screen to enter your account info and your different package options.
Entering your account info is no big deal – just enter your name, address, phone number, and email.
Scroll down and you’ll need to select the package you want.
The best rate – the $2.95/month option – can be had with the 36 month commitment, which means $106. If you’re serious about this venture, go for it. Choosing this option will show search engines that you’re sticking around for a while, it’s the best bang for your buck, and you can rest easy since Bluehost is one of the best in the business.
But you know what? If you’re not so sure, there’s no shame in choosing the 12 month option. That has a great rate too and it should save you quite a few dollars in the sign up.
Here’s what I recommend selecting for the other options:
- – Domain privacy protection – Yes, I’d do this one. It’s pretty cheap option so people don’t find out your name and exactly where you live.. 😉
- – SiteLock Security – I’d do this as well. It’s good for you and your readers.
- – Codeguard Basic – You can take it or leave it. You really don’t need backups of your site yet since there’s still nothing there! 😊
- – Bluehost SEO Tools Start – skip it, use Yoast SEO instead (I’ll explain how to set this up later in this post)
- – 1 Office 365 Mailbox free trial – skip it. You likely don’t need it!
Then, simply enter your payment info!
The next screen will ask you to set up a password – again, no big deal. Choose a password and select, “Create Account”. Then, “Go to Login”.
Use that password to login to your Bluehost account.
You’re almost there!!! 😊
3) Install WordPress on Bluehost
This part isn’t hard at all. Bluehost makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog and it is FREE.
· After you login to your new Bluehost account, they’ll guide you through exactly what you need to do in order to start a blog (only a two step process of minimal information – this should take you just a couple minutes).
· Next, Bluehost will ask you to pick a theme. Choose the one that looks the best to you – they’re honestly all great options. And, you can always change this later if you want, so no big deal if you change your mind. Oh, and remember that most themes are FREE, so if they try to charge you, just skip this step and choose a free one once you get your WordPress account set up (which is just minutes away!).
· Click on “Start Building”
· On the next screen, you can choose “Business” or “Personal” – it’s up to you. Or, you can click the “I don’t need help.”
YESSSSSSSS! You now have a WordPress blog. You will have to work on the design and producing high-quality content, of course. But you are officially started! So exciting!!
If you sign up for Bluehost and you get stuck on something, their support team is one of the best in the world. They can definitely help you – either by way of chat or a phone call. And, if you have any other questions, feel free to email me as well. I love to help newbies get started!! Email me at derek [at] lifeandmyfinances.com !!
To help you get started with your new WordPress site, here are a few tips:
· You can add and create new posts by clicking on “Posts” on the left-hand side when you are logged in.
· If you want to add an image, click on “Media” on the left-hand side.
· If you want to update your theme of your site (ie. the look of it), head to Appearance, then Themes. There, you can choose from a wide variety of free themes. Simply click, “Activate” and you’ll be all set to go!
· You can go to “Appearance,” then “Widgets” in order to add items to your sidebar, footer, and so on.
Here are more blogging-related posts you should take a look at after you learn how to start a WordPress blog: